Does my car insurance cover theft?
Many of us rely on our cars as our main form of travel. If our cars were to suffer damage or get stolen, it can cause a number of travel headaches in situations like picking up children from school or commuting to work.
This is where we rely on our insurance providers to replace our cars with a courtesy car or a replacement if it is irreversibly damaged.
How can you keep your car safe from theft or damage?
There are many different ways you can keep your vehicle less prone to theft, including:
- Parking on your driveway instead of the street or secluded areas
- Alternatively, park your car in a locked garage if you have one
- Making sure all doors are closed properly and are locked
- Don’t keep anything of value inside your car (especially at night)
- If your car has a keyless entry feature, keep your key in a metal pouch to reduce the risk of thieves mimicking your key’s signal
- Add an immobiliser to your car’s steering wheel when you aren’t using it
- If you are selling your car, and a potential buyer wants to test drive the car, always accompany them
- Fit a tracking device to your car so that you can find out its location if it is stolen.
Will my insurance policy cover car theft and damage?
In most cases, your insurance provider will cover your car if it is stolen or damaged.
However, in some cases where you haven’t made efforts to secure your car, your claim may be denied.
- You have left your keys in the ignition
- You have left your windows down
- You have handed the keys to someone wanting to test drive your car before buying it
- Your car hasn’t been left in the place you stated when you applied for your car insurance
I already have a car insurance policy
If you already have car insurance and would like to check your policy details, please call our office or pop in to see us and we will be happy to go through the coverage your policy provides.
I need a car insurance policy
If you don’t currently have car insurance or you are looking for a more suitable policy for your vehicle, visit our car insurance page to find out more about what we cover and to get a free quote.
Get in touch
To get in touch with the CDC Insurance team, you can fill in the form below. Alternatively, feel free to give us a call on 01843 861251 or email us via email@example.com
Read our other articles
It is never an easy time if you are in a position where you need to make an insurance claim. To make things a little easier we have put together a breakdown to aid you in making an insurance claim, which includes a few things to keep in mind during the process.
Are you responsible for managing a fleet of vehicles? If so, one of your top priorities should be ensuring that your vehicles and drivers are protected with the right insurance coverage.